Thursday, March 22, 2012

goat cheese breakfast quesadilla

This was one of those mornings where I opened the fridge and realized I had pretty much nothing.

And by nothing, I mean I had plenty of stuff but didn't feel like putting forth the effort to mix any of it together into a decent meal.

Quesadilla to the rescue!

Most mornings, I have an egg white omelette with cheese and veggies, and a slice of toast on the side. However, tortillas were on sale last weekend so I picked up a few packs. It's good to shake things up every once in a while, I suppose. I love the tang of goat cheese, so I thought I'd use that instead of the usual cheddar or mozzarella. You know, make it special. The quesadilla came together in about 5 minutes, which is roughly my limit for breakfast cooking on weekdays (unless it's for corned beef hash, but more on that later). I made this in the cast iron so the tortilla got nice and crispy, in the way that you typically only find at a restaurant or maybe in the dining hall of your college campus (or maybe at home, if you're a little more patient than I am). I'm also happy to report that this meal kept me full straight through to lunch, which I forgot about until about 1:30.

                                               

Breakfast Quesadilla (serves 1)


1 flour tortilla, soft taco size (the medium one)
1/2 cup egg whites
1-2 oz goat cheese
2 tsp canola oil

In a frying pan over medium heat, cook egg whites in half the oil (use a spray if you prefer) until done. If you want to add veggies, now would be the time. Remove from pan. Heat the rest of the oil and place tortilla in the pan, then add goat cheese and let it melt a bit. Add egg whites on top of cheese, and fold the tortilla in half. Press it together and let cook for a couple minutes on one side, then flip and cook for another minute or two. This cook time is really dependent upon how well-done you like your tortilla, since the egg is cooked already.

It's Recipe Madness! Check out these blogs for more daily food updates all this month!
The Cheesefries Stand Alone
Food Feminism Life
Life's Little Epiphanies
And if you want to play along, just leave a comment!   


No comments:

Post a Comment