Saturday, March 3, 2012

vegetarian crab rangoon

There's this bubble tea place in College Park called Ten Ren Tea, where my friends and I liked to frequent for bubble tea. We enjoyed drinking this refreshing iced tea, but more so I think we got a kick out of shooting the tapioca bubbles at each other through the massive straws in the drinks.



One day, we figured out that they actually served food, too. Go figure!

Five years later, Katherine and I still venture out there occasionally for an order of fried rice and their vegetarian crab rangoon-type won tons (and bubble tea, of course). These won tons are pretty addictive, and I'm not entirely sure why it took me so long to attempt making them myself. The filling is a sweetened ricotta/cream cheese mix, which is burn-your-tongue-on-the-first-bite-but-do-it-anyway goodness. These little things are perfect finger food for a party, or you know, a meal when served in mass (I'm sensing a pattern). They're also super easy, which earns them bonus points!


Vegetarian Crab Rangoons


1/4 cup cream cheese
1/4 cup ricotta
1-2 tablespoons sugar
won ton wrappers

Preheat oven to 350*. Mix the cheeses and sugar in a bowl until smooth. It should be a little sweet, but not overwhelmingly so. Place won ton wrappers on a flat surface and drop about a teaspoon of mix into the middle of each one (the number of wrappers you'll need will vary based on how much mix you use, but I think I used about half a pack). Fold up the corners and press together to create little purses. Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, and bake for about 15-17 minutes or until they turn golden brown. The bottoms will be a little soft, which I didn't mind. If you want them to be a bit crispier you could either spray with cooking spray before baking, or fry these suckers. I was just trying to be a little healthier but I'm sure they'd be fantastic!

Check out the other fabulous bloggers participating in recipe madness!
The Cheesefries Stand Alone
Food Feminism Life
Kelly's Stellar Kitchen  


If you'd like to join in, just leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment