Monday, March 19, 2012

fish and chips

Fridays in London were fish and chips day. I'm not sure why or when I started this tradition, especially since I had such an inconsistent and wide-open schedule (going to class for three hours twice a week does not a busy life make). All I know is every Friday I was at my flat (there were several where I was in the middle of an extended sleepover {ranging anywhere from one night to four} at the fabulous 49 Croxley in my own personal L'Auberge Espagnole of sorts), I would walk around the corner to my chippie (I tried several, this was my favorite) and pick up a half cod and chips. This meal, accompanied usually by a Strongbow and copious amounts of Sarson's malt vinegar, kept me company while I watched DVDs of my favorite shows from back home.

Of course, when you have to walk pretty much everywhere, you can get away with this.

Back Stateside, I don't get to eat fish and chips often, but when I do I make it count. Since we're in the middle of Lent, and for the third week in a row were planning on making pork chops on Friday, I figured I needed something good to help the Boyfriend cope with once again putting the pork chops back in the freezer. 

This totally hit the spot.


Fish and Chips (serves 4)

4 fillets of a mild, white fish (Cod is traditional)
1 1/4 cup flour
1 cup beer
salt and pepper, to taste
2lbs potatoes
oil for frying (at least a few cups)

For the fish, heat oil in a saucepan large enough to lay the fish flat, on medium-high. Whisk together 1 cup flour, beer, and a few shakes of salt and pepper in a bowl. Put remaining flour on a plate and coat each fillet. Once the beer has settled a bit, drop fillets into the batter and carefully lower them into the pan. Fry on each side for 3-5 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish. 

Slice potatoes into rounds. I did about 1/2" rounds for thicker cut fries, but you can slice them thinner if you want something closer to shoestring. Slice rounds into fries. Pat them dry. If you're frying the fries, have some oil in a saucepan ready to go, and carefully drop them in (I used a slotted spoon). Let them cook for 10 minutes or so, until they're as well done as you'd like. Lay them out on a paper towel to drain any excess oil. If you're baking your fries, toss them in a little oil and arrange on a baking sheet. Bake 30-35 minutes at 425*, flipping once about 20 minutes in.

Chester says, "what's that delicious smell? Can I have some? It probably tastes better than my most favorite bone ever, which is saying a lot."


It's Recipe Madness! Check out these blogs for more daily food updates all this month!
The Cheesefries Stand Alone
Food Feminism Life
Life's Little Epiphanies
And if you want to play along, just leave a comment!  

No comments:

Post a Comment