Wednesday, February 29, 2012

kale chips

I have an unhealthy obsession with Pinterest. This would be a bad thing, considering it takes up more time than I'd like to admit, but it has led me to several new blogs with countless new recipe ideas. And since I've been pinning before pinning was cool, I have more recipes than I know what to do with. And yes, I totally just ended that sentence with a preposition.


I've been mildly obsessed with kale lately, partly because it's awesome and partly because it's awesomely in-season (hello, 99 cents/lb). I usually keep spinach in the fridge, and throw a little into most of my meals. Kale is a nice change of pace, as it holds up a bit more when cooked, adding a little extra texture to the dish. Green leafy vegetables for the win!


Lately I've seen a bunch of kale chip pins, and while my last attempt was less-than-successful, I figured I might as well give it a go one more time. Seeing this simple recipe had me sold, though! I think part of the issue last time was that I didn't pay enough attention to the kale towards the end of baking, and I let it overcook which makes the chips pretty bitter. This time, they came out perfectly! Light, crispy, and guiltless, these made the perfect snack while I put together the mac and cheese (I know, the mac kind of negates the kale, blah blah blah).


Kale Chips


A few kale leaves, stripped off the stems and broken into small pieces
Cooking spray
salt
pepper
1-2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (can be found in the bulk section of a natural foods store)
garlic powder
onion powder

Preheat oven to 375*. Arrange kale pieces on a baking sheet in a single layer - don't overlap pieces or they'll stick together and not crisp properly! Spray with cooking spray, and sprinkle with seasonings to your liking. I went the heaviest on the nutritional yeast, because I like the cheesy/nutty flavor. You can also sub out for your favorite seasonings, if you (for some odd reason) don't have the same tastes I do. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the edges just start to brown. The kale may be a little soft still when you take it out of the oven, but it should crisp after sitting for a couple minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment