Friday, May 18, 2012

will bake for love! ro's bridal shower: may 12, 2012


My friend Rochelle is pretty much one of the happiest, bubbliest people you'll ever meet. She loves everyone within about .3 seconds of meeting them, never has a bad word to say about anyone, and wears pink with every.single.outfit. Just think Elle Woods - she's even got the chihuahuas she brings everywhere! So when she got engaged last December, it was only fitting that she decided her theme colors would be the hottest of pink and the neonest of orange.



When my baking obsession hadn't quite subsided (as it generally does) by the end of Winter, I talked to her matron of honor Monica (also a good friend of mine) about making the cake for the bridal shower, whenever that would be. Well, I'm happy to report that despite all of us being very easily-amused-and-oh-look-something-shiny! types of people, I actually followed through with the cake! I mean seriously, what better way to spend your Friday night than baking and icing a pink and orange cake?



Monica and I got together for a test cake run on Monday, back when I was planning on doing a cake with alternating layers of orange and pink dyed vanilla cake, back before I actually asked the bride whether she preferred chocolate or vanilla. Before Monica came over Monday night, I found out Rochelle preferred chocolate, which meant no coloring the cake. It also meant there was no need for a test cake, since I knew how the chocolate cake would turn out (I have a go-to recipe). Basically, we baked for the hell of it and ate entirely too much batter, ending the night on a super sugar high. It just wouldn't be a fun night without some sort of adventure (see: the dried glue hands colored and stuck to a piece of construction paper up on our fridge that I have from one of our fun nights um, five years ago. When I was in my 20's. You should see the looks I get when I tell people that no, these were not made by my five year old cousin).



The test cake looked absolutely nothing like what I had planned for the actual cake, but it was a great excuse to have a friend over and eat cake at 11pm on a weeknight way to test out my icing making and coloring skills, and figure out which piping tools I wanted to use for the final product.



As much as my back hurt from obsessively icing and re-icing the cake for roughly three hours the night before the party, I really enjoyed the whole process! Not to toot my own horn or anything (but who are we kidding, I'm not all that modest, at least in type), but I couldn't tell you how many people at the party asked where we bought the cake. The chocolate cake recipe I used is a standby from the book I showed above, and if you're nice to me I might just share it (and the tweaks I made for the final product) with you. But that cake (and the book) comes with a whole other host of stories totally unrelated to this party, so we'll save it for a different day!

No comments:

Post a Comment