Monday, February 20, 2012

mini whole wheat pizzas

Saturday was a very, very busy day. Up at 7:30am, bed at some ungodly hour, kind of busy. As all we had planned for Sunday was the second installment of a Harry Potter marathon with the Boyfriend's mother, I figured I'd capitalise on what we like to call couch-ass-melding and make something to eat that was simple but delicious (duh, why would I make something that wasn't delicious?).

Enter: leftover pizza dough


I  don't know about you, but when I'm watching a movie (or two, or three) I like to have bite-sized food available. None of this fork and knife nonsense. If it's not as easy to eat as popcorn (perhaps my first love; more on that later), I probably won't bother. Hence, mini pizzas!


Things in miniature are just so much fun, aren't they?

These were perfect for an afternoon of comparing the movies (and all the details they invariably left out) and the books (far superior, I don't care who you are). They were so good, in fact, I forgot how much I hated the 6th movie. This may also be due to the fact that I didn't reread the 6th book right before watching the movie. But that's neither here nor there.


Mini Whole Wheat Pizzas (Makes about 16)


1/3 batch whole wheat pizza dough
toppings of choice (I used pesto and cheese on half, and pureed canned diced tomatoes with cheese on the other half)
cornmeal for dusting

Preheat oven to 400*. If you have a pizza stone, put the stone in the oven while it preheats to bring the stone up to temperature. Cut the dough into pieces about 1/2oz each. Roll each into a ball and then flatten to form the base. Top with a small amount of sauce (think less than a teaspoon - you'll be surprised at how much it spreads!), then a sprinkle of cheese. Place the mini pizzas on the pizza stone (or a baking sheet if that's what you have - maybe put some parchment paper down first), and bake for about 8-10 minutes. The pizzas were done at 8, but I left them in a couple more minutes to get them a little extra crispier.


Sidenote: I wanted to test out how successfully this recipe froze and thawed, and am happy to report success! I pulled the dough out of the freezer on Saturday morning and let it thaw in the fridge all day, then took it out of the fridge and let it warm up for about an hour on Sunday before using. I couldn't even tell it had been frozen!

No comments:

Post a Comment