Sunday, April 22, 2012

chipotle chicken quesadilla

Of all the years of my existence, I thought the refrigerated deli section of the grocery store was the only place to get lunch meat. Now I'm not usually one to admit when I'm wrong, but I'll go ahead and say it: there's another way! I'm not sure if I was just blind or if our Giant really just didn't have a deli section (in which case I retract my former statement of being wrong), but to me, deli counters belonged in separate stores. Preferably with matzo ball soup on the menu.


Ever since I finally decided to go to the store during the deli hours (did you know it closes before the grocery store? That took me a while to figure out), I've been hooked. Since the meat is freshly sliced, it tends to be way more tender than anything I've bought pre-packaged. Also, it's a lot more fun being able to tell them exactly how much I want and what thickness I want it sliced. If you haven't tried this before, I'd highly recommend it. If you have, then congratulations on being smarter than me.

This quesadilla really doesn't have to be for breakfast, but I've been eating it in the mornings. And there's an egg on top, so that makes it breakfast right? It's good and filling, which is perfect for days when I am lazy can't find something to bring for my morning snack. Also, it cooks in like 2 minutes. Bonus points!


Chipotle Chicken Quesadilla (makes 1)

1 flour tortilla, soft taco size (I use Mission)
1 teaspoon canola oil, or cooking spray
1/2 avocado
2 ounces Boar's Head sliced chipotle chicken breast
1 ounce pepper jack cheese
1 egg
a few chives (optional)

Heat oil in a pan large enough to fit the tortilla. Lay tortilla in the pan and layer cheese, chicken and avocado (in that order so the avocado doesn't cook) onto half of the tortilla. Let cook for a few minutes (you should hear sizzling), and then fold the empty tortilla half over the fillings once the underside is golden and crispy. Press down and then remove from the pan. If you're adding an egg, crack it into the pan and fry to your liking. I love sunny side up or over easy, so I can dip each bite into the yolk.

No comments:

Post a Comment